I was thinking....

Started by john_spiral, 16. Mar 2008, 19:50

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

john_spiral

Got up on Saturday morning and thought wouldn't it be great to view downloaded videos on my BT Vision box.

After a few hours of google and eventually landing up at this excellent forum/wiki I realized I firstly need to learn some German and secondly there must be an easier way to move content from a computer to the box in question.

I've come up with the below idea, please tell me if I'm mad.

(1) Output a video from my PC as an analogue freeview signal. (good quality signal)
(2) Have my BT vision box record this false channel
(3) Viola! watch the video.

sounds too easy?

no messing with the box's hardware or software.

Would love your input.

Johne

mce2222

sounds possible, but I guess the cost for the DVB-T sender + encoder would be way too expensive :)

redband

You'll just need a DVB-T modulator...  I'm sure you could pick one up for less than £1,629.00 + VAT

john_spiral

how about this?

"This is not a hoax ! With a PC running Linux and a recent VGA card, you can emit a real digital TV signal in the VHF band to your DVB-T set-top box."

http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/dvbt/

john_spiral

cancel the above suggestion, looks like it only delivers a signal in the VHF range

john_spiral

Another idea along similar lines.

(1) Configure the box to dual boot Linux and the embedded Windows OS. - from the forum looks like people have already got this going.

(2) Setup a DVB-T sender to send a false channel to the box (see above). Record this false channel while running the ordinary Windows.

(3) Boot into Linux and copy the recorded file from the Windows partition to a local network machine.

This will allow one to compare the recorded file and the original DVB-T channel sent to the box, allowing one to figure out the encryption process. - again someone might already know this.

(5) Once this has been achieved copy your own modified movie files from a local network machine to the Windows partition while running Linux on the box.

(6)Boot into Windows and enjoy your own movies. No need to mess with the hardware (except I assume for the initial Linux install).

your feedback will be greatly appreciated.

John

BTVHack

This seems like a really convoluted method.....

I was thinking along the lines of a transcoded signal from your PC, setup as a http:// rtsp:.// type stream and setup that as
a channel on the box.

john_spiral

Hi BTVHack,

Using a transcoded signal from your PC requires a DVB-T modulator, costing £1000, something I feel is too expensive for the average punter.

Would it not be better to figure out the way recorded material is stored using the method I outlined above?

Has someone on these forums already figured out how recorded content is digitally stored?

thanks

John

BTVHack

No I mean a transcoded http:// stream .....

Similar thing was done with xbox360 streaming before they opened up avi support.

http://runtime360.com/projects/transcode-360/

is0-mick

Has someone on these forums already figured out how recorded content is digitally stored?

I did notice when you dump the bootloader there is a certificate at the end which is unique to each box.
and in the certificate it has the words..
000e8100h: 03 30 30 35 31 1E 30 1C 06 03 55 04 0B 13 15 41 ; .0051.0...U....A
000e8110h: 56 20 43 6F 6E 74 65 6E 74 20 50 72 6F 74 65 63 ; V Content Protec
000e8120h: 74 69 6F 6E 30 82 01 22 30 0D 06 09 2A 86 48 86 ; tion0‚."0...*†H†
000e8130h: F7 0D 01 01 01 05 00 03 82 01 0F 00 30 82 01 0A ; ÷.......‚...0‚..

AV Content Protection.... So maybe you can use the certificate, and look at the TV2Client code to figure out how to extract the things stored on the HDD.

Mick

mce2222

that certificate is used to encrypt the session key for each transmission.
the only way to decrypt is to use the private key that is inside the CPU.

its not possible to get the private key out of the box, but it should be no problem to decrypt the content by writing a small c# program that loads the data from the hard disk, let the CPU decrypt the session key, decrypt the content and store the decrypted stuff to disk.

Go Up