Help for a newbie

Started by lessismore, 14. Sep 2008, 12:22

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

lessismore

14. Sep 2008, 12:22 Last Edit: 14. Sep 2008, 13:19 by asgard
Hi you all,

I am happy to see people trying to reach out the limitation and the protection of boxes running a Sigma 8634. After reading the content of the wiki and the different post over here, I must recognize that I am very confused. I also must say I have no skills in programming and so on.

I have found Bluewin TV Box (Sigma 8634LF / 0645 RevB) and I want to use it as a media player operating in a stand alone mode. But I can't find out the procedure to do that.

It seems on the wiki that there is to different way to hack a box. The linux installation, requiring the eJTAG interface building, is far to much complex for me. So the only possibility for me is to use the WinCE Trust Model method.

Which are the steps to achieve this method? Do I only need to plug the drive of the TV Box (having 2 partitions) in a PC in order to apply the patch called "NK.BIN Patcher"?

Thanks for your precious help.

is0-mick

There is no "trust model" method.

ALL boxes need jtag, the trust model is ANOTHER hurdle after that.

Mick

lessismore

14. Sep 2008, 20:17 Last Edit: 14. Sep 2008, 20:22 by lessismore
Ok. Thanks for the information. At least I have now understood the different steps developed in the wiki, especially all the eJTAG connection.

I am afraid the different patches provided won't work on my Bluewin TV box (directories and files are quite different).

Do you know if somebody already manage to hack a Bluewin tv box? Must have been a big experience...

Anyway I won't be able to use this Sigma chip as I expected (decoding H264, aac, ...).

thanks.

mce2222

the hardware should be identical to the x300t, so I cant really believe that the hard disk content is different.
but even if it is... you could just use the latest x300t firmware and it will work.

lessismore

Using the firmare of the x300t would be a good option.

I am curious. I am going to ask few things more. You are going to laugh...as I only starting to understand this business of EJTAG.

I am quite understanding how to get the first DLC5 JTAG cable soldered to the different pin for ("eJTAG on PCB").

1. I can't find out how to wired the JTAG-enable to 3.3V because the pin seems very small and because I don't know what is a 3.3V. Do you have a picture showing this connection?

2. For the "Debug Serial Port", let say I have a Siemens cable. Concretely, which pins of the board have to be connected to the siemens pins?

3. Do those three type of connections have to run simultaneously from the connected PC?

Thanks in advance.

lessismore

After searching on the wiki, it seems that I was able to reply myself to the last question of my previous message. But could you tell me If I am right, when I say that a basic hack of a Sigma 8634 is requiring only the JTAG connection (JTAG enable & Debug Serial Port connections are used for some obscure purpose...).

I have a Bluewin TV box with a SIGMA 8634LF / 0645 REV B. Is a JTAG connection possible to this board? This chip is not listed on the wiki.

If the JTAG connection is possible, I want to use it as media reader, mainly for movie. Which steps are required to boot and to be able to copy and read movie on this TV box?

Thanks, Thanks a lot

mce2222

After searching on the wiki, it seems that I was able to reply myself to the last question of my previous message. But could you tell me If I am right, when I say that a basic hack of a Sigma 8634 is requiring only the JTAG connection (JTAG enable & Debug Serial Port connections are used for some obscure purpose...).

with jtag enabled, and a modchip using that interface to turn off the signature check you are able to modify the files on hard disk... thats it... nothing more.

Serial Port connection is not needed at all... actually there is not much to see anyway. it is only useful (but not required) when working on linux.

I have a Bluewin TV box with a SIGMA 8634LF / 0645 REV B. Is a JTAG connection possible to this board? This chip is not listed on the wiki.

it does not depend on the CPU... all 863x are hackable with JTAG.
but to my knowledge REV B versions were only used in newer box revisions where the JTAG enable was already removed from the layout.
to be sure you could post a sharp picture of the area between CPU and HDD connector.

I want to use it as media reader, mainly for movie. Which steps are required to boot and to be able to copy and read movie on this TV box?

there is no ready to be used solution... so you would have to work on this by yourself... well, actually join the group-effort to split work.

lessismore

I am so grateful for your precious help. I am attaching an image of the board. So if you could me if JTAG enable is possible on it, it would be great.

mce2222

JTAG is always possible... but if you compare your board to this
http://www.t-hack.com/wiki/index.php/Image:X300-jtag-rev05.jpg

you will see that the red marked connection is missing, so you would have to connect the JTAG-enable pin directly to the CPU, as shown in the WIKI.

but I would like to know something different :)
I see that on your board there is some connectors between the s-video and reset button... I was always wondering what would go there, as these are not
used in case of the x300t. so what are those connectors ?

lessismore

I am thinking that my quest to hack this sigma is reaching the end. My skills are too short and I won't be able to connect the JTAG-enable pin on a CPU. I have to find somebody who is able to make the connection on the CPU.

The connectors you are talking about are 3 video output for component video.

Go Up