WINavr - AVRDude - Programming ATMEGA8

Started by BTVHack, 08. May 2008, 15:06

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

BTVHack

I have ordered myself a USB AVR programmer and 5 ATMega8 Chips,
iso-Mick did you manage to get up and running?

Will add more to this thread as and when I get my programmer and chips.

From what I read, it is possible to embed the programmer onto the JTAG pinouts
and should I need to do any updates I can do via USB.

is0-mick

08. May 2008, 19:58 Last Edit: 08. May 2008, 20:00 by is0-mick
Yes I got mine working, I had to add another routine to patch our box as it was obviously different from the x300t / x301t.

Things like the filesize check, I haven't checked it actually works....as my NK.BIN is the same size as the original.

I did try to add the or the ability to boot LX or YA but I couldnt get that to work either.. I haven't looked at it since.
Our box seems to use unicode strings for the filename. It could be that I just need to alter the boot delay as I may be patching it too late after its already loaded the "filename", but seeing as I'm not planning on booting linux, it wasnt a high priority to fix.

I just used 4 wires and the lpt port to program my Atmega8.. no fancy usb programmer...

It worked fine :) also if i need to update I have left the programming wires attached to a lpt connector...

Mick

BTVHack

My programmer was only £12 including delivery so thought it might come in handy
for other projects.  ;D

BTVHack

Programmer and Chips arrived today from HK.
Will more than likely have fun playing around with it.

Any chance you could post the code you used for the chip Mick?

Ta.
Chris

is0-mick

17. May 2008, 16:08 Last Edit: 17. May 2008, 16:11 by is0-mick
Attached as requested.

I dont think the booting of alternate kernel names is working properly on the bt box (LX etc), altho I didnt really test it greatly as it wasn't something I was planning on using.

It could just be that the timing needs altered slightly.

The chip boots an altered NK.BIN fine with no problems and the filesize patch seems to work ok.

Included is the compiled hex's too, so you can just burn them without compiling.

schematic for the programmer i used was from here:
http://www.flightsim.com/howto/mind/avrisp.gif

I used ponyprog with an atmega8, fuse config  CKSEL 0,1, and 3 ticked.. everything else unticked.

Mick

gingercat

Hi all - sorry to resurrect an old thread, but thought it better than starting a new one with the same subject.

I've wired up my Arduino to use as an AVR programmer and just want to check I've done everything needed to get my Atmega8 ready for running:

Write the image to the chip (only flash write needed?):
avrdude -p m8 -c avrisp -P Com5 -b 19200 -U flash:w:x30Xtmodchip.hex

Update the fuses to run 8MHz internal oscillator:
avrdude -p m8 -c avrisp -P Com5 -b 19200 -U lfuse:w:0xE4:m -U hfuse:w:0xD9:m

Is that me ready?

Thanks in advance,
Chris.

Plasma

I used the one like Mick, fashioned up from an old Printer Cable I butchered then chopped up a USB lead to provide the +5v for my programmer. So the Printer lead went in the Parallel and the USB in a spare port and job was a good un.

Plasma

Go Up