BTvision black box BT's nasty rule...

Started by steve3123, 12. Apr 2013, 23:16

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

steve3123

Hi peeps, i decided to see if i could gain BTfirmware, by hooking up my box to a work BTBB connection with a Btvision account active on it. Got the box to boot up great, interrupted the BB connection and box promptly sulked. Now my Brother has BTvision black box, with a working BTvision account and his box will boot WITHOUT a bt BB connection. His box is running very different firmware to ours and it is running linux. Now for the nasty Bit, we called BTvision's ''help'' line to explain that we had bought a box on ebay so he could use it as multiroom, (BT dont support this but lots of people do it) so we gave them the box mac code and everything else the tech asked for so we could download the latest firmware for it.  Tried to convince the box on more than one occasion to download the latest firmware, and all it does it reload the windows CE. When explained this to the ''vision tech'' his response was, only boxes linked to the account will get the new firmware which allows the box to boot without the BB connection and allows an epg over the air. When asked why, the response we got was ''We know there are lots of unused vision boxes out there, thus having them still locked to our system will mean people will have to come back to BT to get the box to work''
So it seems that to get the latest firmware that allows the box to boot and run without a BB connection to BT, would be to get a box already ''opened'' on the new firmware. The vision tech did say off the record that eventually all the black BTvision boxes would be unlocked as they are going to be un workable when they start streaming everything over fiber, and totally moving over to youview.

is0-mick

Pity you didnt have the box connected up via a laptop to the internet or such.
Then you could sniff the data with wireshark or such, and find the URL's for the updata files etc.

Mick

steve3123

Did try that Mick, either its my system or im doing something wrong, but I get an encrypted html address. BT have said that they are migrating everyone over to the youview system, but you know BT they say something but when they do it is a totally different manor

steve3123

Whoa, I think BTVision have done something, I was playing with my black box again last night (I live in hope) and out of sheer frustration of it rebooting I kept hitting TVGUIDE, to see if the box was actually doing something, not just hanging, after the C01 screen. It promptly displayed a scan for channels, so I told it to do so. However it got to 60% of channel scanning and froze. It did find 48 channels though. So I did a power cycle again, and it did another channel scan which promptly froze at 0% no channels found after 20 minutes.
Maybe just maybe, you guys who have way more programming knowledge than I do, can see if the box will let you in? Its never done this before so maybe its from the software update recently released by BT

is0-mick

Hi Steve,
Just wondering if they have they updated your box to the new linux version yet?

Mick

steve3123

No. Its running another version of firmware, but its still giving me a c01 error.
According to the BT vision forums, BT are updating batches of boxes at any one time, however they expect it to be completed sometime around NOV/DEC 2013.
But people are saying that boxes that have been disconnected for whatever reason will NOT get the update unless you have an active BTBB connection as well as a live BTVision account.  >:( >:( >:(

Go Up