Porting Enigma2 to BT Vision Box

Started by DarkNeo, 29. Jul 2009, 14:29

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

DarkNeo

First of all, is the current state of Linux enough to start developing DVR applications?

If so, who would be interested in helping me port Enigma 2 to the BT Vision Box/X300? The parts I'll need help on are figuring out how to do all the linking, arch. porting etc, and interacting with the drivers. The higher level stuff is mostly done in Python so I can do a lot of that.

Hoernchen

There are no dvb-t drivers and the iptv is encrypted, so there is not really a lot to record or watch right now..
bringer of linux, conqueror of hdmi, jack of all trades.

Mulder3

IPTV should be possible to decrypt in linux, as long as you use the apis used by tv2client to talk to the xpu

DarkNeo

Are you talking about the IPTV service from BT? I have no plans of using that.

Hoernchen

Yeah, it should be possible to decrypt it, if you spend a year on reversing the wince/xtask communication ;)

DarkNeo

Hmmm, I think I'll pass on that :P

So what's the roadblock with the dvb-t drivers?

Hoernchen

30. Jul 2009, 13:12 Last Edit: 30. Jul 2009, 13:13 by Hoernchen
Uh.. configuration works via i2c, so if your tuner is supported under linux you could use the code from the dvb api thingy. Which is not as easy as it sounds, there are tons of configuration options, so without sniffing the config wince uses it's going to be hard.

Mulder3

Are you talking about the IPTV service from BT? I have no plans of using that.

Well, there are two groups of people in this forum, those who want to use the STB as media-center replacement, and those who want to use the iptv service in other devices, or on the STB itself but running Linux
In my personal case, i donĀ“t care about the STBs at all, i can built a better mediacenter(x86 based) with more features than the STBs will ever have... What i want is try the reverse the mediaroom/iptv edition software to use it on other devices...
Since probably will never be possible to decrypt the iptv stream in other devices unless we can crack the XPU to get the rsa private keys, the option is to get Linux to decrypt the channels...

Just my 2cents, of course...

DarkNeo

Well, there are two groups of people in this forum, those who want to use the STB as media-center replacement, and those who want to use the iptv service in other devices, or on the STB itself but running Linux

Well I'd say I'm one of the people wanting to use the STB as an actual STB/DVR, and a media player, possibly with a 4od/BBC iPlayer frontend.

Since probably will never be possible to decrypt the iptv stream in other devices unless we can crack the XPU to get the rsa private keys, the option is to get Linux to decrypt the channels...

As far as I'm aware the private keys aren't in the XPU, nor would we need them to decrypt the channels, since they're signed by the content provider with the private keys and decrypted with the public keys (which I guess are 'private'ly stored on the XPU, is this what you meant?) I could be wrong, this isn't an area I've looked into much.

If that's what you guys are after perhaps someone could draw up a good diagram showing the whole DRM process on the box (I'd be willing if someone could explain the process to me.) This would help everyone get on the same page and we can figure out points of attack.

redband

If that's what you guys are after perhaps someone could draw up a good diagram showing the whole DRM process on the box (I'd be willing if someone could explain the process to me.) This would help everyone get on the same page and we can figure out points of attack.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding here, but with the BT box, the majority of TV is freeview, unencrypted and without any form of DRM,  BT is adding a handful of iptv "channels", but to access this the client needs to have authenticated and established subscription rights to the iptv content in the same way the on demand stuff works. 
The BT box does use some kind of proprietary storage system when tv is recorded, but it doesn't have to be done that way...

So what content are you hoping to access?
Freeview
iptv (eg the Honda channel)
OnDemand (cut down subscription only version of iplayer + movies)

I'm only interested in Freeview plus any of the freely available video/audio/tv/radio from whichever internet or local storage/DNLA source I choose. eg get_iplayer, youtube, tversity, internet radio, etc, etc

DarkNeo

So what content are you hoping to access?
Freeview
iptv (eg the Honda channel)
OnDemand (cut down subscription only version of iplayer + movies)

Personally I'm only interested in freeview, and other media sources such as local files (including on USB devices), and network streaming from another machine. From what I understand from Mulder3, there are people looking to get access to the IPTV service though.

is0-mick

31. Jul 2009, 11:01 Last Edit: 31. Jul 2009, 11:03 by is0-mick
Hi Guys,
I doubt access to the IPTV service would be possible without subscription, however decrypting recorded or VOD content from a subscribed box may be possible using a modified client, although I'm no expert in this area.

The reason I am interested in this project is to use the box as a 'quiet' stand alone freeview PVR, which we can use for things like iPlayer, youtube etc etc, and also play media from local storage (hdd/usb etc) and via network shares.

Also it would be handy to be able to burn recorded content back to DVD etc for archival purposes.

Another project I looked at ages ago was $|<y HD (Thompson box) wich is it possible to run linux on too, as its the same chipset as the TIVO series 3 box. It also has jtag.
The driver source code / kernel / chip docs were posted on a site called dealdatabase.

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=59
(see datasheets and sourcecode posts by doomngloom)

I did manage to get it sort of working (booting off the hard disk) with one tuner, I had a TV picture, no remote support and no sound, but gave up due to lack interest from people, and also due to my limited knowledge of linux and C programming.

Mick

Mulder3

Hi Guys,
I doubt access to the IPTV service would be possible without subscription, however decrypting recorded or VOD content from a subscribed box may be possible using a modified client, although I'm no expert in this area.

No one said it would be possible without a subscription, and even if it was possible, you will be easily "catched" by the provider, since they probably have some kind of fraud detection, like analyzing the DSLAMs IGMP logs, so they can compare it to the subscribers database, so if they see a non-customer IP requesting a iptv channel...

Mulder3

31. Jul 2009, 22:16 Last Edit: 01. Aug 2009, 05:08 by Mulder3

As far as I'm aware the private keys aren't in the XPU, nor would we need them to decrypt the channels, since they're signed by the content provider with the private keys and decrypted with the public keys (which I guess are 'private'ly stored on the XPU, is this what you meant?) I could be wrong, this isn't an area I've looked into much.

From what i understood while reversing the tv2, there are two RSA certificates(bounded to STBs Mac addr.) stored on the boot ROM, one for server communication, and one for decrypting the video.
The video is encrypted using AES using a key named "Boundary Key" kinda like DVB's CW keys...
The Boundary key is then encrypted with a session key with is delivered via web services.
The communication with the web services is made via a SSL-like connection using the certificates in the rom
But, from what i understood, the communication server->client is encrypted with the box public key(that stored on the rom), to decrypt, the box uses its private key part stored in the XPU, so the server, doesn't even need to know the box's private key...
The client->server communication is encrypted with the server's public key(with is retrieved from the "sync" file downloaded via tftp) and then decrypted by the server's private key

At least, that's my understanding, but i could be wrong(i really want to be wrong, since what i described is probably the worst case scenario )

Plasma

Personally I'm only interested in freeview, and other media sources such as local files (including on USB devices), and network streaming from another machine. From what I understand from Mulder3, there are people looking to get access to the IPTV service though.

This would be my main area of interest as well, simply getting the PVR functionality would be great, so we can pause/record TV. I'd also be interested in streaming movies from my main machine to it (or copy them over the network and play them locally.

I'm currently trying to get up to speed with c# so I can maybe start helping with the mods on the TV2 Client , but I'm quite a way behind on my programming skills at the moment. :(

I also had a crazy thought whilst laying in bed the other night, would it be possibe to fit a DVD to the BT box? We already have an IDE interface and I have stacks (well a few) Slimline DVD/RW drives from laptops, there would appear to be room if we removed the card readers / modded the faceplate slightly? But would the IDE interface / OS support a DVD? To be able to play DVD's in it would be amazing, it might also give way to being able to back recordings of to disk as Mick was alluding to earlier.

Plasma

Go Up