PACE DIT7431/05 (Black BT box)

Started by is0-mick, 30. Mar 2010, 18:48

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

is0-mick

Hi Guys,
Got a black BT box today to disect.
Completely different to the other boxes. This one is Broadcom based.
BCM7405.

I think the board could be a reference design, or they designed it for multiple uses.
There are a number of places where unpopulated components would fit, such as another card reader, and also an external power jack (12v type).
There is also a place for a reset switch, and for another sata port.

Pictures attached.

Does anyone have any datasheets (not the 2 page product brief) or ballout for the BCM7405?

Mick

is0-mick

Seem to be having problems attaching photos.

Mick

zfeet

Here's 196 pages of goodness :)

is0-mick

Cool :) nice one.

Thanks zfeet :)

Mick

gloader

:D Glad you have got one of these now.. I am good with pc hardware etc but not so good with things like this black box.. so will be great to see what you can find out about it.. yes i had noticed place for second sata port etc..

is0-mick

Well, looking at the PDF, the secure co processor could do all kinds of nasty stuff, like verify the boot signature from an onboard rom. There is also a mention of secure handshake to access jtag (maybe they didnt implement it?)

I may need to get hold of another box to remove the CPU, then we can trace the jtag pads to see if they go anywhere.

It seems a better build than the sigma box, and a 400mhz cpu (from the data sheet).
Also being sata, and the sigma chip network or ide performance being crap iirc, the box should perform a lot better than the previous one.

However if the secure modes are implemented in the cpu, then a cpu replacement may be the only option :(

Mick

mce2222

Hoernchen had some more documents about that cpu directly from the broadcom library... unfortunately he has vanished... no idea why.
from what I remembered, he mentioned that the security of the cpu is very similar to the sigma cpu.

about the performance... I have read some user-reviews where they said that the box feels a bit faster but not THAT much.

anyway, it is interesting that broadcom finally managed to get a competitive SoC on the market. up to now I did not see a real product using the chip.
at least the documentation of the chip is way better than this joke that Sigma is providing.

is0-mick

Apparently the Dreambox DM500HD uses the BCM7405 chip too.

Mick

mce2222

but that box isnt long on the market either... about the same as the pace

Mulder3

Can you provide the BT firmware for that box? I would like to see what changes MS did to tv2client/tv2engine.

is0-mick

06. Apr 2010, 09:35 Last Edit: 06. Apr 2010, 09:37 by is0-mick
Hi Mulder3,
Seems they have done a few changes.
The etc.bin now seems encrypted, so the normal tools don't open it to get to the tv2client.

There also seems to be 3 filters in the NK.BIN and some hash / key file?

I dont have the files to hand at the moment, will send you a PM later.

Just to add, I also have found the jtag pins on the board, which is the connector to the left of the sata ports.

Pin 1 seems to be nTRST, I have tried a few combinations but no ID from the chip..
jtag are pins 1 - 6 (5 is GND).

I'm awaiting another box to remove the CPU to verify the pin assignment.

Mick

Mulder3

Ok, send me a PM later.

About the security, while it could be just another layer of Windows CE security(most likely, i think), i can also be some kind of encryption related to Broadcom's SoC security co-processor. That WinCE filters you referred can use the co-processor to perform the decryption. What do you think?

Plasma

Way to go guys watching this topic with interest!  8)

Plasma

Plasma

I have one of these black beauty's winging its way to me, any news on whether they are suceptible to a similar hack?

Plasma

is0-mick

Hi Plasma,
Unfortunately I haven't had time to progress this any further....

Mick

Go Up