BT to replace Microsoft Windows CE with Linux on Vision Boxes

Started by Plasma, 03. Feb 2012, 09:38

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

Plasma

Hi guys,
          Been a long time since I was here but I came across this new article and though I'd share it with you, posted this in News too but thought I'd drop a link into the Linux forum too ...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/02/03/bt_vision_upgrade/

BT are to upgrade their Vision boxes, over the air, with Linux and ditch Microsoft Windows CE.

Plasma

is0-mick

someone else just sent me the same article, so I came here to post!

Guess you beat me to it :D

Looks interesting.. even from the point of view of obtaining drivers :D

Mick

redband

Funny,
I just dropped by to see if there was any point keeping 2 old silver btv boxes when I saw this...  I guess I might have to postpone the clearout and see his this develops...  wouldn't be surprised if the rollout if Linux was only to the newer Gen boxes tho...

is0-mick

Apparently they are ditching the mediaroom system totally, so that would mean people who have the silver boxes would not be able to use the service, unless BT replace them with the newer boxes?

I've got a couple of the black boxes which use the broadcom BCM7405 if I remember.. Jtag is disabled and they probably use secure boot, but theres ways and means....... ;)

Mick

redband

I heard there were still lots of Silver boxes in use with BT.  From what I remember... and it's been a while, even the silver boxes can start from an empty disk and receive partitioning config and full OS over the air.  The suggestion was that they were going to push this out quickly so I wouldn't be suprised if they went for quick and dirty linux to work with the old bootloader on current boxes then roll out linux proper with their 3rd Gen...  We'll see...

steve3123

The black box has the new linux firmware

Go Up