has anyone got bt vision working on linux

Started by verg0, 06. Jun 2009, 23:36

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

verg0

Hi guys, just wanted to know has anyone got a bt vision box working with linux (sound/picture) yet?....

thanks

Verg0

Plasma

A quick search of the forum will furninsh you with the information but the answer is (AFAIK) there are no DVB-T drivers for Linux hence no access to the tuners.

Plasma

is0-mick

The tuner drivers are available.. I did a search on the number of the tuner chip + linux and it turns up some C code :)

Mick

Plasma

The tuner drivers are available.. I did a search on the number of the tuner chip + linux and it turns up some C code :)

Mick

Excellent, I guess that means someone with enough knowlege could make a port of MythTV or something similar to give the box some real capability.

Plasma

redband

Mick

Which Tuner chip does the btv box use? (can't see mine from here :-))  Is it the same as x300t? Linuxtv.org should be a good starting point... 

Mulder3

Even if you can get MythTV to work via DirectFB/QT Embedded, i think that MythTV will try to use FFmpeg codecs(ffmpeg uses cpu, not the SMP DSP's) to decode the video... And the poor 300mhz cpu simply don't have power to decode video... So, unless the DirectFB version of SMP863x has some kind of abstraction to mrua libs for video decoding, you'll have to patch MythTV(or libavcodec) to use mrua...

zfeet

06. Aug 2009, 20:41 Last Edit: 08. Aug 2009, 19:03 by zfeet

Even if you can get MythTV to work via DirectFB/QT Embedded, i think that MythTV will try to use FFmpeg codecs(ffmpeg uses cpu, not the SMP DSP's) to decode the video... And the poor 300mhz cpu simply don't have power to decode video... So, unless the DirectFB version of SMP863x has some kind of abstraction to mrua libs for video decoding, you'll have to patch MythTV(or libavcodec) to use mrua...

Netgem uses FFmpeg on their SMP8634 boxes and they provide the source as well. I have no idea to what extent FFmpeg is used but anyone courageous enough can try.

http://www.netgem.com/linux/utils-netgem-netboxHD-4.7.42.tar.bz2

Edit: Looking at the source and one Netgem binary reveals that they use FFmpeg to decode at least: xvid, h.264, ogg, ac3, flac, aac, h.263, mjpeg and mpeg. So quite possibly enough for MythTV support?

Go Up