new box with locked HDD

Started by gloader, 11. Mar 2010, 17:28

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

gloader

Hi, I have the new black box, i have taken it apart and the hdd in this one is a SATA drive, however when connecting it to pc i can not initalize drive .. i think they have locked the drive, if anyone has had any luck with this let me know

is0-mick

Hi,
If you have any pictures of the inside etc.. that would be cool :)

Mick

Plasma

Hi, I have the new black box, i have taken it apart and the hdd in this one is a SATA drive, however when connecting it to pc i can not initalize drive .. i think they have locked the drive, if anyone has had any luck with this let me know

Did you just get the new box when you signed up or have you got it as part of a trial? I'm just wondering if these are the standard boxes given out to customers now?

Also have you tried reading the drive with "Copy+" ? Its a long shot but they may have adopted the XTV system like Sky, just a thought!

Plasma

gloader

I got the box when signed up to new contract. its standard issue to new customers now.. ill try and get some photos up soon.

Now i have tried copyx with no luck as windows can not see drive. i have also found out the the drive lock is not the master password for the hard drive
It will also lock any drive you put in it and seems to go round in a loop with software update. however i have not yet tried putting an blank drive in yet as last
drive i put in it was not blank and it locked it and failed to boot.. you get the first cog then box goes into standby

I have since unlocked this drive with hdd unlock wizard at a cost $$$ ... im trying to work out what the lock password is that they put on the drive..

is0-mick

If they were clever, it would be based on something like the boxes serial / mac or something, so unique for every box.

However, they may not be clever...

Mick

gloader

I have tried those and no luck...

Plasma

Can you post the Hard Drive make and Model number? Once its unlocked can you read the files on it?

Plasma

is0-mick

If you have a usb>sata adapter you could power up the box 1st, wait for it to boot.. and hard drive activity to cease.

Hot swap the sata cable, but leave the power cable plugged in (so the drive is still powered), the drive *should* still be unlocked....

Mick

gloader

will try that and let you know.. as for make and model its a SEAGATE PIPELINE HD ST3160310CS

gloader

Ok that works and i can see the drive, 2 pars and looks the same as old box.. just need to find out a way of extracting the lock code 

is0-mick

hehe :) I had a feeling it would.

There are a few apps that allow you to view the data... I think I posted once on a hdd repair forum.
MHDD i think was the app....

Mick

gloader

Ok now i need some real help please...  used mhdd and this is part of the output in 22.bin

,1üzå iµ$#Áóÿ/Û~™ud‰M®+øøm1‰½PACE FRANCE Master Security PWD2À  4  ôÄ    2   

so from this i guess the lock code is PACE FRANCE Master Security PWD2

However when using mhdd to unlock drive using this code as is and in upper and lower case also taking out spaces etc, I keep getting fail....

gloader

UPDATE

I have also tried using hex to dec convert and i get

80 65 67 69 32 70 82 65 78 67 69 32 77 97 115 116 101 114 32 83 101 99 117 114 105 116 121 32 80 87 68 50

Entering this in using alt Gr putting 0 in front of 2 digit numbers ..this outputs the same as typing PACE FRANCE Master Security PWD2 and again i get a fail.. as both master and user passwords

I have also tried hdat2 ... so both hdat2 and mhdd fail....  really stuck now ...

is0-mick

Bit hard to see as its out of context..
Also the unlock procedure can differe from different drives.. have you just tried
"PACE FRANCE" ?

Maybe you could paste some of the hex dump with
Code: [Select]
tags so its a little more readable.

Mick

gloader

Ok i have worked it out..  I believe as security is set to max normal unlock command will not work.. but using HDAT2 you can unlock it by using the ERASE UNIT command and the password PACE FRANCE Master Security PWD2

So if you lock a different hard drive using the new black vision box or want to unlock the hard drive in it for use on pc then follow above.

Im not looking to do much more with this box at moment as bt due to cancel my connection with them soon... (had enough of bt!!!)

Ill just use the hdd in pc and keep an eye out on here to see if anyone has worked out if we can use jtag on this box.

Go Up